Skip to main content

Commercial pesticide licensing

Get authorized to apply pesticides on the ground or by aircraft and deal and consult on pesticide application

License requirements

Your business must be licensed if you do any of the following:

  • Apply pesticides (including general use pesticides) for hire in any location that isn't a building or related structure.

  • Sell federally or state restricted pesticide

  • Make pesticide recommendations for a fee

To stay in compliance, your business must:

  • Pay annual fees

  • Employ at least one certified commercial pesticide applicator, RUP salesperson, or agricultural consultant; $10 annual fee for agricultural consultant field scout

  • Register all mechanically-powered pesticide spray equipment (see: equipment registration form ); $50 annual fee

  • Maintain and provide evidence of financial surety (Rules and Regulations Section 133)

Types of business licenses

This at-a-glance comparison tells you what you might need for your business. More details are below.

Any business or individual who wants to apply pesticides to control pests anywhere except in a building or other structure must first get certified as a Commercial Pesticide Applicator by passing the General Standards exam.

After passing the exam and paying a license fee, certified applicators must pass exams and receiving a license in one or more of the categories listed here:

To do this

You need this

Apply pesticides by ground

Ground Owner Operator License

Apply pesticides by aircraft

Aerial Owner Operator License

Sell restricted use pesticides

RUP Dealer License

Make pesticide recommendations for a fee

Agricultural Consultant License

Duplicate licenses and/or certification cards are available and cost the same as the original.

Change of information

Once licensed, if your address or contact information changes, email .

Licensing and registration

Contact info

Pesticide and Environmental Programs

Related links